Friday, July 18, 2008

Hitting the wall? Already?!?

Okay, it's getting discouraging. I'm exercising daily, and more than I have since...probably high school, maybe college. Nah, probably high school. I'm eating to plan. I'm losing weight. But my darn blood glucose levels are not dropping. They're better than at diagnosis time (202, fasting, with a 9.5 A1C, so that wasn't a fluke), ranging between 137 and 170, generally, but today's shot up into the 180s. (181 fasting, 189 after exercise and breakfast...oh, and after some stressful work emails and nearly having a woman on the side of the road trying to help push a car stumble and nearly fall beneath the wheels of my faithful Civic. So yeah, maybe some stress there. And a pulled muscle in my leg, which I'm trying to be patient about, since the Pumpkin Run is only a few months away.)

So I'm betting that the CDE Rn will recommend medications on Monday. If I'm doing everything right and it's still not within the target ranges, what else is there to do? How long does lifestyle change typically take to make a difference? Guess it's "just put one foot in front of the other" time...

So, last time I thought I'd talk a little about how I'm going about this lifestyle change business without being overwhelmed by the "This is the Rest.Of.My.Life"-ness of it. How ironic! But here goes: I know it's happening when I start getting that little panicked feeling, when thinking about the future. Hmmm, why does it usually happen when I'm running? When it happens, I have to yank my thoughts back to the moment. Hakuna Matata. (That tune got stuck in my head after playing it for my daughter on my iPhone, and it's become my running chant, has a good cadence to it; appropriate on a number of levels...just hoping one of those levels is not that of poor Pumbaa when they put me on metformin!) All those Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hahn CDs I listened to during my commute sank in, I guess. *sigh*...I just hope I can get those numbers under better control before our Michigan trip, that's going to be a challenging time, all that tasty food....

No comments: