Sunday, January 2, 2011

Am I the Only One?

Am I the only one not totally fired up about it being the new year?  Who is not surging ahead with plans for 2011?  Who is not cajoling others to do the same?  It's funny, last year I was so excited to share my goals for 2010.  This year, I'm feeling kind of "meh" about it.  I guess that's one truth for me about the health & fitness journey - enthusiasm waxes and wanes, and one just has to be patient about it returning.

I'm definitely not feeling "meh" about 2010; although the last quarter wasn't exactly a blaze of glory, in general, it was a good year for me.  I successfully accomplished most of my goals.  I did 6 events total, with at least one event per quarter: completed two sprint triathlons, did the bike leg of a tri relay, racewalked a 5K, finished (albeit slowly) a half marathon that was a "maybe" goal, and I even got to run a race in Kauai!  Even with my ankle injury, I was able to meet my goal of 1000 miles of activity this year (activity=walk, run, swim, bike, spin, elliptical, etc.), which I logged in Daily Mile.  I did some things that my former weight held me back from doing: horseback riding, riding a roller coaster, and wearing a bikini!  I completed half of my "pay it forward" items (3 caps) and started on the second half (a dog sweater).  And most importantly, I was able to maintain my good health numbers, including keeping my a1c in the 5% range all year.

So for 2011?  Well, my only plans so far are "more of the same."  I definitely want to continue my "event-per-quarter" plan, to reward being consistent with exercise, and do at least one triathlon (hmmm...maybe this is the year for an Oly?).  I've enrolled in a hula dance class, something I've always wanted to try, for January.  Other than that, I'm going to stay open to inspiration.  I'm also going to swipe my 2011 mission from blogger Debra Sapp-Yarwood, who described a healthful life so beautifully: "Live joyfully most of the time, eat healthfully most of the time, exercise most days and treasure whatever body happens."

11 comments:

Miz said...

you know I feel the same in a way. I wanna do more of the same add in a little (yoga.more) but today isnt a rebirth of any sort for me either.

and it never was.

my new years when my life changed was a bleak gray east coast day in october :)

xo

jaime said...

I feel the same way - and did about my running last year. I cut back considerably, and am looking to stay active, but not race for several more months.

Brooke said...

i thinkthat's just proof of what a good year you had! you don't want a fresh start - you want to continue in your current awesomeness :)

Lori said...

I feel you on that. I am not all gung-ho either. I just need to do all the things that just need to be done to keep (and get) the weight off, be healthy, enjoy family time. None of my things I want to accomplish this year are dramatic or really noteworthy at all.

Foodie McBody said...

YES I'm feeling super meh (still sick!) and maybe that's why my goals are "more of the same." Make it to 2012 in the same or better shape. That's it!

Anonymous said...

Sorry but I can't relate to your feelings this year (although I have in the past). Maybe your resolutions are feeling too much like WORK and not enough like FUN? How about some fun resolutions? I will wear a funky hat all day once a month. I will try a new recipe once a quarter. I will save all my nickles in a special bank and use them for something completely frivolous at the end of the year. I will take a silly picture of my cat once a week.

Life is short. Have some fun.

Sagan said...

Such a lovely quote!

When we are at the point where our goals are to do "more of the same", I think that means that we're pretty happy with what we've got. And that's a good thing :)

Biz said...

Loved the last line of your post the best!

Hope you have a great weekend!!

Krystal said...

I couldn't agree more. I know id rather have monthly or more importantly daily resolutions/goals. It's a whole lot easier to adjust, recommit, and progress if it's not only every year.

Anonymous said...

I go back and forth! Sometimes I'm excited, sometime I'm not not. But that's a great goal you swiped. ;)

beef manitoba said...

A new year another chance to live a better life. hula dance class sounds really fun. Don't over exercise and burn yourself out!