Thursday, October 3, 2013

Opposite Life Reboot!

Well, I'm back!

[Picking bits of barnacle shell off of my back.  You'll have that from a keel hauling. Captain Wordswench and crew are none to gentle...]

But where to restart?  Rebooting a blog is kind of like rebooting one's fitness routine, so I guess I just need to dive back in and start writing something.  The "big catchup" seems daunting, just like the idea of getting back into running.  So I guess I'll do a brief re-cap, and hopefully flesh some of those out in the coming weeks.

[I really wanted to post something yesterday, October 2, for so many reasons.  But my first draft was interrupted here by Thing 1, who was having trouble sleeping, and Mr. Handsome-and-Handy, who is desperately sleep-deprived and just wanted to go to bed already...

...It's now October 3.  I will take 5 minutes and post SOMEthing.  Because something is better than nothing, right? ;-D]
  • FitBloggin' 13:  I am probably the last of the people who are going to attempt a recap that are actually going to do it. It was, overall, awesome!  I met some wonderful new blogger friends, broke out of my introvert self in many ways, enjoyed my PDX - finding new favorites, when old favorites have gone.  (I also discovered some tasty new things at the conference, and I will be doing a product review and my FIRST giveaway, so look for that in the next week!) FitBloggin' ends with a 1 mile/5k/10k event.  I was going to do the 5k in the morning - walking, I hadn't run in a long time - but I ended up doing the mile walk with friends I met, and it was SO fun!  Like a kid at Christmas, though, I let myself get overtired during the conference days and so some things that didn't quite gel for me made me feel a little more fragile than I would normally let them.  I can't say "I can't wait to tell you all about it," because obviously I have waited.  But I look forward to MAKING some time to do it justice.
  • See Jane Run Volunteer!:  I was also going to at least walk the 5k for the Run for Chocolate and Champagne, but I ended up hurting my ankle.  They ended up short on volunteers, so I went and helped out at registration and taking down the registration area...and probably burned more calories than actually participating!  So yes, I ate the chocolate.  I also got to see Susan Ito and her Weight Watchers "Island Girls" tribe!
  • The Grandparent Trifecta!  Our summer vacation saw us visiting all 3 sets of grandparents!  We traveled to Tucson in June, Lompoc for 4th of July (and the kids saw real fireworks for the first time!), and Michigan in July/August for a big ol' family reunion.
  • 5k101.com program:  I also decided to try and regain my running.  I wasn't excited about it, but I decided to commit to getting through the 5k101.com "couch to 5k" program.  I'm happy to say that I just finished day 2 of week 7!  I have to say, it felt like a drudge until week 6, and now I'm actually looking forward to my running days.  I plan to do one more day, then then supplemental 7-2, then week 8 the week before the Pumpkin Run - week 8 should be a good taper of sorts after the longer week 7 and 7-2 workouts.  This year will be my 5th Pumpkin Run!  I missed it last year, so it will be good to be back.  I don't plan to take my distance longer than 4 miles anymore.  My goal is to become the best 5k runner I can.
  • Back to school:  Yes, it's ON!  The kids have been back awhile, so everything is once more in full swing.
  • A new Facebook page!  Unfortunately, "Opposite Life" was taken, so I set up a writer page, "Pubsgal."  I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, but it might be handy for blog update alerts.  Maybe it will become where I blog, because Blogger doesn't work so well on mobile devices, and I've been big-screen challenged lately.  (Which is why I don't comment on blogs as much anymore, either.) 
Um, did I say "brief"?  Oh well!  Hope all you crickets have a great day!

3 comments:

Jill A said...

Yayayayayayayay!!!!!! So glad you are back in blogging action!! :) Can't wait to hear more!

Lori said...

I has missed you!

Charlotte said...

Hey you're back! Congrats on all the running and I hope your ankle is all better!