Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"Someday" is "Now"

Or, "About this blog":

I've always loved eating good food and (to quote the Sweet Potato Queens) "doing jack shit." My ideal life would be somewhere like this; getting served excellent, plentiful meals and tasty cocktails; snorkeling a little; laying around in the balmy air and reading books. It's a good thing I never won a Lotto jackpot.

I turned 40 this year. Foooooooooorty. Ooo. And I thought maybe I should get my act together. I am overweight, sedentary, married with two small kids. I had also had gestational diabetes during both pregnancies (you can see where this is going) and was therefore more likely to develop it someday. (Family history, too.) Ironically, I had started to make some changes for better health, and I went and got some screening done at Long's. Just to see where things were at.

"Someday" turned out to be "now": my fasting blood glucose was 202, a1c 9.5. Damn!

So now I'm living the "Opposite Life": opposite day, every day, when it comes to food and fitness. This blog records my journey, and maybe it will help others on the same path.

No comments: