I'm back on track this week, and I'm feeling very good about it: I kept my log filled in, and while things didn't go perfectly, they went good enough.
I've also been listening to The Beck Diet Solution. (Got the older version on a book on CD from the library, after seeing it mentioned on several blogs.) My reaction? Hmmm. I'm really trying to keep an open mind with this one and listen for the valuable nuggets. So far, a lot of it has been tips I learned ages ago in Weight Watchers (which, *cough*, were floating back in my subconscious for a long time and not being applied). I don't really like the word choices: much emphasis on the wonder of being "skinny" or "thin" (as opposed to "healthy"), although the practical advice is very sound and healthy. I think this would probably also be my reaction in reading the text of the book, but I have to admit: the voice of the woman who reads the book really raises my hackles. (It's not the author. She read the forward, and I preferred her voice.) With a book like this, I'd really prefer a warm, empathetic voice. The voice that was cast alternates between infomercialish enthusiasm and a rather snotty, condescending tone. (Can you picture a real or fictional person, who has never had a problem in maintaining a stable weight and can't for the life of her imagine how others could be such losers at it? That's her. Reading this book! Yeah, I know! Come to think of it, though, the person reading the book is probably a lovely person, and my karma is tanking as I type this.) Anyway, I'm on disk 2 at the moment, and it's at a point where I'm amused enough at my reaction to the voice to be a bit less bothered by it and more receptive of the message.
Progress last week
7-day blood glucose average: 94 (met goal of less than 120)
7-day fasting average: 95 (met goal of less than 120, 100% of days)
Weight goal: -2.6 lbs (met goal)
- Consumed 5 meatless, low-fat meals and 1 fish meals. (met meatless meal goal; did not meet fish meal goal)
- Got over 50 grams fiber 1 day last week; >=40 grams of fiber 3 days, >=30 grams 2 days, and <20>=30 minutes, but missed one of my workout days. Did 1 run and 2 half-runs, and one spin class. Only 1 day strength training, but it was BodyPump and I felt good-sore this week.
Misc. goals: Got adequate sleep all but one night. I didn't always brush and floss right after dinner, but will leave that on the goal list.
Goals for this week
7-day blood glucose average goal and fasting numbers: below 120.
Weight goal: Maintain or lose.
- 4 or more meatless, low-fat meals and 2 or more fish meals.
- Keep the good coffee habit going on week days: 1 coffee/day, with 2T fat-free half-and-half and 1/4-1/2 cup almond milk. Switch to tea and plain water after that first cup.
- Take the sugar-free candy out of the car. Use gum instead.
- Track fiber. Minimum 30 grams fiber/day and work up to consuming 50 grams fiber/day. (Include both insoluble and soluble sources.)
Minimum of 30 minutes of workout 5 days/week. Workout to include at least 1 bike, 1 run, and 1 swim per week, plus 2 strength training per week. (I'll probably be focusing more on the running with the 5K coming up at the end of May; during the summer, I'll be switching to triathlon training for September.)
- 7 or more hours sleep/night.
- Brush and floss teeth right after dinner!