Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Welcome, Mills-Peninsula's Healthpoint Magazine Readers!

If you cracked open the Mills-Peninsula Healthpoint magazine's summer 2009 issue, and didn't get too distracted by all those yummy recipes, you may have stumbled across an interview on page 10. Yep, that's me, and if you were curious enough about my blog to check it out, welcome!

There's an interesting story behind the article. On February 11, 2009, I sent a letter to Jenny Ruhl, thanking her for her Blood Sugar 101 book and accompanying web site (and for her role in likely having saved my eyesight or a limb or two). She responded:
"Do pass on what you've learned to other people it might help. Word of mouth is the only way this news will ever reach so many of the people who need it."

Later that same day came what I call a "woooo-woooooo" moment: I received a call from my CNE at Mills-Peninsula, asking if I would mind sharing my story for their Healthpoint Magazine! Would I?!?! Even if I hadn't received the message from Jenny, it's what I aspire to do: show others the possibility of thriving in the face of type 2 diabetes, just as it was shown to me. Many thanks and kudos to Angela Anderson for her wonderful writing and to Paul Kitagaki, Jr. for the great photo. (And to both for making the process lots of fun!)

I hope you enjoy my blog, and please consider checking out some of the folks on my blog roll. There are lots of inspiring people out there writing some fantastic blogs.

5 comments:

debby said...

Pubsgal, how fantastic! To share what you have learned, and that there is hope. My dad, an ardent reader, DID lose his eyesight to Diabetes. Its such an insidious disease.

I am so proud of you.

Pubsgal said...

Thanks, Debby! I'm sorry that your dad suffered from diabetes in such a devastating way. I think that would be the worst case scenario for me, too.

Anonymous said...

That's great!! Congratulations. It still boggles my mind how many diabetics don't take care of themselves TODAY to prevent things down the road.

Good luck on your race on Sunday! Can't wait to hear about it!

Miz said...

SO FANTASTIC!!!

Id be walking around telling everyone I knew to come and check out the article :)

are you?

Pubsgal said...

Thanks, Biz & Miz!

Re: your question, Miz, I've been emailing friends and family, but that's about it. It's been fun to see who reads it and mentions it among local people. I caught my son's first grade teacher mentioning it to her class and pointing across the playground at me the other day...then there was my sister-in-law, who found it (hadn't read her email lately) and called us; my husband answered. "Hey! Your wife's a centerfold!" Hee hee!