Monday, October 20, 2008

Running: Not Just for the Sweet Young Things

Okay, y'all are probably ready for me to shaddup already about the Pumpkin Run. But I checked out the results list, and I was veeeeery interested to see that the biggest age groups in both the 5K and the 10K were the women ages 40-49. Maybe not typical of other races--this being my first as a "sweet middle-aged thing" and all--but if you're in my age bracket and maybe not sure if you're a "runner" and happened to be intimidated by the idea of running a race, tell those "I'm not young enough/fast enough/jock enough" thoughts to go far, far away and never come back.

I'm also motivated to keep going and work on my speed. A 71-year-old gal from Oakland totally dusted me with a time of 36:31. Any tips for improving running speed? Or do you just do it every day and it naturally improves? What do you use after Couch-to-5K?

1 comment:

Juice said...

Way to go! I'm so proud of you! Way to inspire others. I just may need to sign up for a 5k or something. :)