Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Weekly update, 1/6/08

Busy month ahoy, so I don't know that I'll be posting much, other than my Tuesday weekly updates. I feel like I'm just about back in the swing of things.

We enjoyed a pleasant New Year's Day. I proposed a hike we'd never done before, "something new for the new year." Although we didn't quite make it to the end point, we enjoyed wandering through eucalyptus groves and found a picnic table for our picnic.

And today was my every-3-months checkup with the doctor. She's happy with my blood glucose numbers and my blood pressure (102/62; hurray for cardio!) and I got blood drawn for the lab tests. I'm actually kind of excited to see what the numbers are this time, especially my a1c. I was also happy to confirm that my scale at home is pretty accurate; I weighed in, fully-dressed, 3 pounds more at the doctor's office.

The doctor asked if I was bored with the foods I've been eating. I truthfully answered "no." I'm lucky, in that I've always enjoyed EVERYTHING I ate, from vegetables and fruits, to meats, to cheeses, to desserts. Sure, getting used to the new way of eating was hard at first, but it has gotten easier over time. For me, eating a good variety of fruits and vegetables, plus plenty of spice, keeps me from getting bored. The occasional trip to a Thai, Indian, or Mexican restaurant nips boredom right in the bud, too.

Progress last week:

7-day blood glucose average goal and fasting numbers: 7-day average was 94; 7-day fasting average was 94, with 100% of numbers below 120. (met goals...I'm having a hard time believing these numbers!)
Weight goal: -2 pounds (met goal of maintain or lose)
Food goals: 4 meatless, low-fat meals and 1 fish meals. (Met meatless, missed fish by 1 meal. I did a little too much sugar-free chocolate eating, methinks. Mr. Handsome-and-Handy made the mistake I made: 3 sugar-free York peppermint patties in one day. He compounded this, though, by eating a bunch of Biz's delicious Spicy Zero [Weight Watchers] Points Mexican Soup. Hoo boy....)
Exercise goals: I got 3/5 cardio--my runs--so met the goal of 3 runs, but missed cardio by 2 days. I didn't counting the New Year's Day hike, which was a couple of miles but done at kids' slower pace, nor did I counting the workout DVD as a full 30...it was 20 strength and 10 minutes cardio/strength. I'm happy to have gotten in my 2 arms & abs workouts, although I missed my goal by 1 workout.
Misc. goals: Didn't track, but felt well-rested.

Goals for this week:
7-day blood glucose average goal and fasting numbers: below 120.
Weight goal: Maintain or lose.
Food goals: 4 or more meatless, low-fat meals and 2 or more fish meals. Buy canned salmon so as to get in the fish goal during lunch. Lighter eating if dinner is after 7 p.m.
Exercise goals: At least 30 minutes of cardio 5 days; 3 days of arms & abs strength training workouts; do at least 3 runs, weather permitting (Weather-permitting=not raining and temperature over 40 degrees). For part of the arms & abs goal, I'm going to take the Body Pump class at the gym tomorrow and/or Friday. It's one I haven't tried yet, so not sure how I'll do. Most of my usual weight exercises are with 8 pound hand weights, and certainly not for a full hour. But new year, try new things, right?
Misc. goals: 7 or more hours sleep/night.

3 comments:

SeaBreeze said...

They tend to use light-ish weights in classes that last 45mins or more. You can always go to a lower weight if it gets to be too much. The sheer amount of reps you do creates a different kind of fatigue. Fortunately, the upbeat class will probably keep you from getting bored with the sheer volume of reps.

February 1st I am going back to 3 lunch workout classes per week: Abs, Legs, and Arms 'n Abs

Anonymous said...

cant wait to hear what you think of the class.

Pubsgal said...

I did the BodyPump class today! I enjoyed it tremendously. I'll write more later, but as you said, SeaBreeze, it was really upbeat and totally doable, even after running this morning. I liked that there were leg exercises, too, I'd been neglecting those.