Shrink for Good Challenge Update
Well, it was a "no change" week, and I'm feeling grateful. I'm still down for the challenge a net of 3.2, which means that I'm maintaining. After years of seeing my weight go steadily up-up-up, having it hold steady at a weight I'm feeling good and healthy at is pretty darn nice for a change.
Good Little Cans
So...why go for more? I don't think it's so much the scale number I'm chasing, it's health, so I have been looking for cross-referencing health indicators to help me know when I've "arrived" at the right shape for me. I've been doing a bit of reading about visceral body fat. According to the Mayo Clinic article, over 35" in the waist is not good, and I'm 38" right now. But the medical web sites also mention a waist-to-hip ratio of .85 or less. I've noticed, since I've been keeping measurements, that I've consistently had a 5" difference between my waist and hips, from the very start of my taking measurements. So I'm not sure that I'd ever be able to get both to a point at which there would be .85 or less. So I guess I'll do my best at targeting the coveted 35" and let the ratio fall where it will (even though--sigh--it's supposed to be the better indicator, according to this Harvard Health article). Which makes me also wonder where they came up with this formula; I haven't been able to dig up anything about that.
I did get a little postcard this week...looks like I'm not the only one shakin' it!
Underlying image credit (and apologies to): "Moulin rouge Paris Cancan 1890," Jules Chéret (from Wikimedia Commons)
Progress last week
7-day blood glucose average: 103 (met goal of less than 120)
7-day fasting blood glucose average: 103 (met goal of less than 120)
Weight goal: No change this week. Still 5.7 away from breaking into the 170s.
- Got in 3 meatless meals and 0 fish meal. (Not met)
- Fiber: at least 5/7 days were over 30.
Exercise goals: Well, not exactly what I had planned, but it worked for me this week.
- Wednesday: 60 minutes BodyPump class.
- Thursday: 20 minutes strolling
- Friday: Nothing
- Saturday: 60 minutes "playout" at park with Thing 2
- Sunday: 35 minute run and 45 minutes "playout" with the kids at the park
- Monday: 45 minutes at gym - 35 run, 10 arms & abs with weights
- Tuesday: 60 minutes belly dancing class
Goals for this week
7-day blood glucose average goal and fasting numbers: below 120.
Weight goal: Maintain or make progress toward goal.
- Keep tracking.
- 4 or more meatless, low-fat meals and 2 or more fish meals.
- Track fiber. Minimum 30 grams fiber/day. (Include both insoluble and soluble sources.)
Minimum of 30 minutes of activity 5 days/week. Prepare for the Pumpkin Run 5K on 10/18 and the Theta Breakers on 11/8.
- 7 or more hours sleep/night.