Thursday, September 4, 2008

Morning at the Doctor's Office

Item #1,352 of what they don't tell you before you get diabetes: you're going to be visiting a lot of folks in white coats, often (at least at first...not sure how frequent this becomes when your numbers are good on a regular basis).
Item #1,353: Everyone on your care team might not agree about what "good numbers" are!

Well, the good news is that my home scale is pretty well aligned with the doctor's scale (even with my clothes and shoes on). And my blood pressure is even better than last time: 100/70. (And what do you know? My BMI is still in the obese range. So much for the obesity=high blood pressure sweeping generalization. And even when I was out of shape, it was still 120/80, so go figure.) The bad news? The nurse and the doctor both tsk'd over my most recent fasting blood glucose numbers, which I'm pleased to say finally started dropping below 130 this week.

Doctor: "Too high."
Me: "Huh? The diabetes educator recommended a range of 70-130."
Doctor: "Really?" (I showed the doctor my sheet.) "Well, don't show that to my other patients!"
Me: "What do you recommend?"
Doctor: "Shouldn't be higher than 120."
Me: "Oh. Well, what will it take to bring it down?"
[Doctor whips out her pad and scribbles down an Rx for metformin 2x/day instead of 1x.]

That said, my doctor reassures me that if I keep doing what I'm doing, we might be able to cut it back later or maybe even get rid of it altogether. (Never any promises, I'm finding, with managing diabetes.) Which would be cool, but I just want to do what it takes to get things as close to normal people's ranges as possible. From what I've read, I'm glad she supports the lower range and is helping me get there.

No comments: